10 green events and freebies at Santa Monica Festival Sat May 7 11-6PM
4. Enter to win a free bike. While at the Bike Learning Area, put your name in the raffle for a chance to ride this blue bike (above) home. You’ll also get a chance to practice defensive and safe riding techniques at this spot.
5. Pick up free locavoring skills. At this festival, cooking demos pair local chefs with local farmers to make for sustainable dining lessons. At 12:30 pm, Locanda del Lago‘s executive chef Water El Magar will demo with Alex Weiser of Weiser Family Farms. Then at 2 pm, Josie‘s executive chef Josie LeBalch will take the stage with farmer Gloria Tamai from Oxnard. If you’re lucky, you’ll get a taste of the local cuisine –
6. Get free bicycle repair help. Dust off that old rusty bike in the garage and roll it on over to the festival, because the good folks at the local bicycle co-operative Bikerowavewill have a booth where you can stop by to get free help fixing up your bike. Pick up some DIY repair skills and become a more self-sufficient cyclist while getting your bike road-ready.
7. Create your own upcycled art. In the festival’s DIY zone, you can make a book from recycled papers using Japanese bookbinding techniques, create “spin-pop” paintings with recycled materials, and turn plastic bags — which you’ll no longer be using now that you’ve got that reusable bag — into decorative flowers.
8. Learn how to fit your bike at the Bike Exhibition. Put together by local bike-friendly organization Santa Monica Spoke, this exhibit will showcase more than 30 bikes. One of them’s bound to meet your daily needs. Still can’t decide what bike’s right for you? Stop by at 1 pm Steven Carr, bicycle fit expert from Bike Effect, who will give a talk on that’ll help you figure out your bike fit — and answer any specific questions you may have until 3 pm.
9. Enjoy free filtered water. Why waste good money on bottled water when you can stay cool and hydrated for free? Take your own reusable bottle to the festival to fill up at four water stations throughout the park, courtesy of the Santa Monica Water Division.
10. Snag a free scrapbook. Santa Monica Museum of Art‘s giving out free scrap books called Ticket to Ride for the cycling enthusiasts at the festival. Filled with useful cycling tips and road rules as well as bike quotes and illustrations, this scrapbook still has plenty of room for you to track your bike-ventures for the rest of the year.
Santa Monica Festival will also feature live music and dance performances, fitness activities, food trucks, and lots of booths showcasing local vendors, environmental nonprofits, and city services