Back-to-School Home Search Tips
It’s that time of year when families consider moving to get their children into a good school district. At realtor.com we recently conducted a back-to-school survey to see how much weight schools have in the home-buying decision. The results show that school-district boundaries do impact the buying decision for more than 60 percent of realtor.com home buyers.
We also found that home buyers are willing to pay more and give up certain features for a home located in their district of choice. These buyers are especially willing to give up access to shopping and nearby parks and trails, among other amenities, to reside within the school-district boundaries of their choice.
A majority of the home buyers surveyed said that school-district boundaries will have an impact on their buying decision:
- 23.59 percent would pay 1-5 percent above budget
- 20.70 percent would pay 6-10 percent above budget
- 8.98 percent would pay 11-20 percent above budget
- 40.33 percent would not go above budget
For home buyers who said that school-district boundaries will have an impact on their decision, the majority rated the boundaries as an “important” consideration:
- 90.53 percent said school-district boundaries are “important” or “somewhat important”
- 2.04 percent were “neutral” about the importance of school-district boundaries
- 7.43 percent said school-district boundaries are “unimportant” or “very unimportant”